The next phase in the company’s journey is inspired by its rich heritage and focuses on accelerated growth, enhancing customer experience and positioning it as the undisputed leader in logistics of goods that deserve special care. The ambitious growth agenda is supported by an international Private Equity firm, since several years the majority shareholder in the company. The long heritage of the company is reflected within the strong and proud family like culture that has been built over the years. With a decentralized structure, the organisation has always been able to adapt and anticipate optimally on local needs and challenges. Currently, the company operates as a cohesive network generating revenue of €1.3bn with a team of 2,500 professionals, located in 90 countries, offering services and tailor-made solutions to help their customers’ business grow.
With the strong ambition and entering the next growth phase of the company there is an increasing need for professionalization and creating robust processes. As a result of this and in order to be able to add value to the ambitious goals, people need to be hands on, dedicated and fully committed. High levels of accountability and performance are imperative in reaching the company’s objectives.
** Senior Finance Director role for a very ambitious and energetic financial who wants to deal with all aspects of Finance: Business Control, Financial Control, M&A, Tax, SSC, Integrations etc. Focus will be on improving output quality while driving efficiencies, leveraging the size and scope of the group’s organization. Furthermore, driving improved business analytics on the company performance **
Do you like (help) driving the company strategy from a financial perspective and ensuring a valued business partner position for finance in all decisions made? Are you an engaging person who is keen on delivering a financial message to all kinds of stakeholders in a global organization? Then this might be an interesting opportunity for you!
To support the growth agenda we are looking for a Senior Finance Director, managing a team of 10 FTE (total finance team worldwide is 213 FTE). You will report directly to the CFO and will work closely with CEO and the other Executive Committee members and the finance directors in the company. Most of the time you will be based in our offices in the Netherlands in both Haarlem and Rotterdam, alternating with frequent traveling to Germany, where part of the group finance team is based.
Beyond the classic Accounting, Reporting & Control and Tax elements inherent to this role, the incumbent will be instrumental in driving the continuing set-up of the international Finance community within the company together with the CFO and taking it to the next level. The main responsibilities are enhancing the accounting / reporting & control for the Group as a whole, ensuring Tax compliance and reporting as well as professionalize the worldwide finance function to make it fit for purpose. Focus will be on improving output quality while driving efficiencies, leveraging the size and scope of the group’s organization. Furthermore, driving improved business analytics on the company performance.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- You are responsible for an efficient and timely preparation of consolidated monthly, quarterly and yearly financial statements according to German GAAP, however candidates should also have an in-depth understanding of IFRS. Under your leadership, further quality improvements and acceleration of closing deadlines will be driven;
- With the Group BI & Systems as well as the Business Controlling team, you will enhance internal and external reporting and ensure consistency of finance systems and practices across the Group;
- In close cooperation with Group Finance & Treasury, enhance all aspects of accounting of derivatives and financial instruments;
- You will prepare and drive the implementation tax strategy and ensure compliance with all relevant regulation (incl. appropriate transfer pricing documentation). From your responsibility you will be the lead contact for group and local auditors, as well as tax consultants;
- You will define and drive efficiencies through a de-centralized organization while improving quality of delivery. Based on your support and guidance, the financial support to the organization will be enhanced to a truly valued business partner;
- You are responsible for a solid dividend planning;
- You will provide strong support to the Internal Audit team by enhancing accounting practices within the Group;
- You will participate in financial due diligence projects and support post-merger integrations in connection with the Group’s M&A strategy together with your teams;
- Also, you will support the Group CFO in several projects, included but not limited to M&A, Business Intelligence etc.
Ideal candidate profile
- You are focused on driving results and show strong feelings (e.g. urgency) about reaching targets, but also comfortable to challenge them and implement corrective actions if needed;
- You collaborate easily as a team player that sets the program and timelines and engages the countries to deliver the required results;
- You influence by nature, adapting your approach to the audience, anticipating impact of words and actions, preparing for possible resistance and responding in an appropriate style, using a range of influencing styles;
- You have a can do no nonsense mentality; you are hands on, self-starting and like to get things done;
- As a true sparring partner for Group CEO, CFO and Executive Committee, you bring the strategic thinking and brainpower to facilitate the successful implementation of the growth initiatives and the delivery of the (financial) results. Your focus will be to develop hypotheses or alternative scenarios of how critical issues will play out beyond the year and uses these to set challenging goals with a future payoff or outcomes;
- You bring proven experience in the set-up, improvement and leadership of Group Accounting teams within international groups with a decentralized set-up. You are able to leverage a networked organization, including having gained experience in multi-cultural remote-management;
- You are a qualified accountant, started in Big 4 and preferably made the transition to senior financial role in an international business environment; Experience within a Private Equity backed company or used to the result driven and high performance attitude of a Private Equity setting is considered to be a plus;
- You have a minimum of 10 to 15 years of finance experience gained in an international environment, with more than EUR 1 billion revenue. Ideally in a logistics environment; Experience in a decentralized organisation is considered to be a plus;
- You are entrepreneurial and resilient, and not the typical corporate character;
- You are willing to travel frequently and show a high intercultural competency;
- You are comfortable in conveying a financial message to all kinds of stakeholders, including our Executive Board and Supervisory Board;
- You are fluent in English.
competitive incl. STI and LTI