BISSELL, founded in 1876 in Michigan and part of the BISSELL family, is a global and fast moving company and active in designing, testing and trading unique cleaning solutions. Via a multi-channel strategy (wholesale, e-commerce) BISSELL is focusing on further international expansion outside the home market (US), with a strong focus on European growth.
In 2012 BISSELL started it European operations in Amsterdam. From a newly created international HQ, a highly ambitious team is responsible for the growth agenda outside the US. And with success: in the last four years, the figures for 2020 have increased fivefold compared to 2017! This means that they are making the transition from European start-up to scale-up: rapidly growing while professionalizing the internal organisation.
The Amsterdam team is a motivated and energetic international team (45 FTE and growing) that evolves and embraces changes for the growth of the business. The communication style is open and encouraging. The culture is a mix of an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit. It also has a scale-up vibe and the solid backbone from a family owned company.
Senior Commercial Controller Europe Profile
The position of Senior Commercial Controller Europe is an addition to the finance organization. You focus on one of the key targets: all commercial and performance related initiatives with the European market. In this position, you are part of the Commercial Leadership Team (CLT) consisting of the European General Manager, Operations Manager and the Sales & Marketing Manager. In this role you report directly to the International Controller and dotted to the European GM.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Responsible for the financial planning, budget and forecasting;
- Provide analysis and recommendations of new country/channel opportunities;
- Review customer price quotes and product marginals for accuracy and reasonableness;
- Counterpart in the business for new contracts, business cases, new product introductions.
- The European monthly financial reporting activities including P&L analysis, profitability analysis, and country reporting;
- Interpret results and identify trends proactively, highlight issues, and work in partnership with the business to plan appropriate actions;
- Maintains close relationships with the commercial team as their key Financial Business Partner;
- Leader, coordinator, and driver of the annual 3-Year Plan, working closely with all functions involved;
- Prepares and analysis monthly financial reporting package and present to management team within reasonable time-frame;
- Supports with the further development of commercial controlling including trade spend analysis and control, marketing expenditures and effectiveness of the commercial activities (including direct e-commerce);
- Interprets data for the purpose of determining past financial performance and/or to identify risks and opportunities;
- Ad-hoc financial analysis and calculations to support decision making in various areas like Sales, NPDs, e.g.;
- Affinity to create, review and improve business processes independently to advance the transactional and financial reporting effectiveness, including strengthening the quality of reporting and analysis.
Ideal Senior Commercial Controller Candidate
- Degree minimum: Master’s degree – Business or Finance related field; specific concentration: Finance or Accounting;
- Experience level: 10+ years, ideally in a commercial business finance environment; Experience within the consumer industry (fmcg, e-commerce, B2C) is a plus;
- Experience evaluating and advising on business initiatives, contemplating transactions, and business proposals;
- Advanced MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Oracle/Hyperion experience a plus;
- Fluent ability to speak, write and read English; Fluent in two or more languages, preferably Dutch;
- The passion to work closely with other members of the Global Finance Department to obtain necessary information;
- The ability to speak up, assertiveness and constructive communication skills;
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of management;
- Entrepreneurial, analytical personality with a holistic approach; willing to step out of your comfort zone with a ‘getting things done’ mentality. Able to solve problems with the future in mind.