Our client is an international holding that was founded 12 years ago and is owned by an international investment company. The holding oversees a group of companies that employ around 7.000 employees and is active in two clusters: Material Technology and Energy. The annual sales grew significantly over the last years to €1.2 billion following an active international buy and build strategy. The initial focus is on expanding the position in the above mentioned clusters.
The holding currently exists of roughly 30 professionals with backgrounds in investing, multinationals and tier-one accounting-, consulting- and law firms. From the office in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, they aim to support the companies in their development to become and stay the reference in their industry. So that they are still relevant decades from now. The fundamental belief is that this approach benefits all stakeholders, from employees to shareholders and from suppliers to customers. The holding has a decentralized governance model working closely with its companies to ensure a good coordination on strategy and synergies.
The whole company strives for a culture that stimulates people to learn, have an impact and get the most out of themselves, while jointly aiming to do what is good for the company. The guideline for their professionals is: behave with integrity, take responsibility and be transparent.
The CFO’s of the companies report both to their CEO and to the holding. The fact that there is a lot to do also reflects on the team in ‘s-Hertogenbosch. In the past year a new CFO has joined as well as five new team members who deal with financial reporting and business control.
The aim of the business controllers is to help the companies to steer their businesses properly as well as to identify opportunities for improvement. The financial reporting professionals are responsible for all external financial reporting as well as internal control over financial reporting of the group. They monitor compliance related to statutory reporting and tax and assist the operating companies with the application of the proper accounting standards. This is a coordinating and oversight role as the ultimate responsibility lies with the management of the subsidiaries. With respect to the holding entities and the consolidated financial reporting, the responsibility of the team includes the preparation of annual reports as well as monthly internal (consolidated) reporting to the CEO and shareholders.
Role and responsibilities
The financial controller reports to the group financial reporting controller and works closely with the financial accountant in the team. The main focus of the role is on group consolidation and encompasses financial control, financial reporting, tax compliance and projects that vary according to developments in the group or changing legislation. He or she reviews both the quality of the reporting from the companies as well as compliance. The companies have their own reporting teams and the financial controller works closely with the team members to continuously help increase the quality of their work, which then leads to a more efficient consolidation.
Examples of topics that the financial controller works on are:
- Management of the periodic consolidation process under IFRS (execution is supported by one FTE);
- Preparation of consolidated financial statements and annual reports under IFRS and Dutch GAAP;
- Reviewing monthly reporting and statutory accounts of the operating companies;
- Monitoring compliance on tax filings and statutory filings within the operating companies;
- Supporting the CFO and group financial reporting controller in technical IFRS questions as well as in the (external) audit process;
- Continuously identifying improvement opportunities related to the internal control framework of the operating companies as well as training the responsible teams;
- Being a central source of information related to tax, both internally as well as towards the operating companies as well as monitoring their tax compliance;
- Guiding the operating companies in implementing and improving the financial control related tools in the Business System;
- Proper administration of the five in-house holding companies in which the financial controllers coaches the financial accountant and reviews his work. Complex postings might require booking by the financial controller.
Ideal candidate profileBackground
This is a role for a specialist who would like to transition from a big 4 accounting firm to making an impact in a client side role without losing the professional work setting. The ideal background for this role can be described as follows:
- Master degree in Economics, Business Administration or Accounting;
- NBA registered (and as such a completed RA study or international equivalent);
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in an international working environment;
- IFRS knowledge is required, fiscal expertise is highly valued.
In order to make an impact in this role, the following skills and competencies are perceived as highly important:
- Well-developed analytical skills: self-propelling and curious, able to prepare structured and crisp hypotheses and analyses using the available data and reports;
- Synthesizing skills: able to summarize significant amounts of information and reports into the key messages, in order to be able to communicate to internal and external stakeholders about a topic;
- Fluent in English;
- Excel, Word and PowerPoint native, experience using COGNOS / IBM TM1 and Exact Globe are considered an advantage;
- A structured working approach as well as a high degree of accuracy.
The role requires a responsible professional with high working standards. Taking ownership and delivering on your task is essential. People who fit well take responsibility for their own actions, are eager to make an impact, disciplined, mature and curious. They are pro-active, have a strong content-focus and have the will to really understand the content before concluding on a topic.
70K - 90K