Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet is the first fashion outlet build in the Netherlands. The outlet is named after the famous Batavia ship (anno 1628). After opening as the first outlet center in the Netherlands in 2001, Batavia Stad Fashion Outlet was expanded in 2008 with a second phase and in 2009 with a third phase. Since 2014, Batavia Stad is part of Via Outlets. This current owner invested in another major expansion of 45 stores with a floor area of 5,500 m2.
Currently, Batavia Stad exists of 150 stores of the biggest brands, a total of 31.000 m2 and attracts 3 million visitors a year. A team of 30 passionate colleagues ensures the success of the shopping center. They are working in sub teams like: leasing / legal, marketing, sales, retail, operations and office management. The company culture is very informal and down to earth, but with strong team spirit.
At present, finance is mostly outsourced to a strategic partner. It is now time for the next phase in the company’s journey to facilitate the further growth: taking ownership over the finance function of the company and to set up the business control function. This is why we are now looking for a driven Finance Director to lead the new finance team.
What are we looking for?
The Finance Director role is a new finance leadership role with the oversight of the financial management of Batavia Stad. It is your goal to set up and strengthen the finance organisation and to boost the impact of finance to the business. We are looking for a people and result oriented Finance Director. A well-balanced personality with drive, energy and sense of humor. He/she should have the desire to grow, together with the company, to a higher level of performance. You are a committed professional with a passion for this retail organisation, where people can make the difference.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
Setting up the finance structure and leading the finance team
- Insourcing of the full administration and setting up financial control, reporting and business control;
- Roll-out of Yardi ERP (together with the Via Outlets group team);
- Hiring and leading a high performing team.
Business Partnering & Operational Leadership
- Lease agreement review;
- Supporting Centre and Group Management teams with ad hoc analysis and/or financial advice relating to business strategies, investment/ extension opportunities, appraisals and leasing scenarios/ opportunities;
- Participate in internal meetings for presentation and discussion of financial results and updates;
- Assist with the management, motivation, development and support of direct and/or indirect team members, to build a strong, effective and positive team culture.
Sales & Income Control & Analysis
- Co-ordinate and control brand invoicing of rental income, including application of base rent indexation, turnover rent settlements and rent reconciliations;
- Supervise management and follow-up of bad debts.
Budgeting & Cost Management
- Drive budget process and timelines, whilst providing strategic direction to business functions in line with management objectives;
- Co-ordinate and manage semi-annual budget process, working with other functions to develop projections for rental income, service charge income and receipts, capex and TIs, marketing, overhead and administrative costs and corporate, tax and finance costs;
- Review and control overall cost allocations to budgets;
- Oversee payments to suppliers;
- Exercise strong budgetary control, including monitoring and reporting on variances, potential overruns and informing and working with business functions to adjust actions accordingly;
- Partner with the business to identify and implement measures to ensure optimization of service charge recoveries and to maximize cost efficiencies;
- Oversee service charge cost settlements and analysis of net service charge costs;
- Cost control for TI’s, capex and development costs.
- Oversee preparation and review of monthly and quarterly management and financial reporting;
- Overall responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of Group reporting for financial consolidation;
- Management of local financial reporting filing obligations and compliance requirements;
- Management of auditors for statutory audits and for Group consolidated audit;
- Ad hoc advice on accounting issues.
Treasury – Bank Financing & Cashflow Management
- Efficient liquidity management, cashflow monitoring and ensuring sufficient notice provided to Group teams for upcoming funding requirements;
- Arrange funding from Group and distributions of available cash to Group;
- Bank reporting and assistance with bank financing requirements, including:
- Covenant compliance and bank reporting;
- Monitoring, analysis and control of expected future covenant risks;
- Communication and oversight of loan facility operational guidance to centre team;
- Co-ordination of bank consents for developments, leasing, etc;
- Bank waterfall arrangements and management of company accounts;
- Assist in refinancing discussions, renegotiations and support of leverage strategy.
Tax Compliance And Structuring
- Manage tax advisors for preparation and review of tax provisions and tax compliance;
- Manage ongoing compliance with tax structuring advice, working with tax advisors in monitoring and adapting to changes to the tax environment;
- Oversight of VAT compliance, withholding taxes and other tax-related matters.
Financial Risk Management
- Implement and maintain effective financial control procedures;
- Work with Group finance to manage Centre-level financial risks including operational risk, credit risk, liquidity risk, financing risk, tax risk, covenant risk and FX risk.
We are looking for a hands-on and charismatic Finance Director, you are an authentic and outgoing professional and you get energized by being part of a team. You keep the lead but move forward together with your colleagues in this service oriented retail environment.
Next to this, we are looking for:
- A relevant Master’s degree and ideally a Post Master (RA/RC or equivalent);
- Profound understanding of local financial and relevant regulatory issues;
- Thorough understanding of retail and strong commercial awareness;
- First class communication skills. The ability to be able to communicate and relay ideas and/or relevant arguments convincingly and comprehensibly in an international environment to both accountants and non-accountants is crucial;
- Project management and coordination skills;
- Highly numerate with strong controller skills (regular target/performance comparisons including cost controls, etc.);
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel;
- Ability to work under pressure and with strict deadlines;
- Able to work individually as well as part of a team;
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a commercial mindset;
- Problem solver and capable of making clear decisions;
- Strategic thinker who is far-sighted and process-oriented with excellent analytical skills paired with natural creativity;
- Highly flexible and open-minded;
- Fluent in Dutch and English.