Our client is a multinational trading company based in the Amsterdam area. The company is one of the largest and most respected traders in agricultural products as grains, sugar, cashews, coffee, wheat and oilseeds. They moves more than five million metric tons of commodities all over the globe, across Africa, North America, Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. The portfolio of the company consists of twenty five various commodities.
As one of the world’s fastest growing agricultural commodity traders, the company moves into a sustainable future with a focus on their core strengths. Furthermore, this organization has strong unique selling points within their specific expertise in commodities and is currently known as one of the fastest growing trading companies in the world. Broadening their distribution network beyond Africa and into Asia, Middle East and Europe. The company is currently going through a time of transition and therefore is a need for a strong Business Controller Commodities to join the team at the head office in the area of Amsterdam.
The company has restructured the commodity operations and support functions into a separate integrated business. This will improve the operational efficiency of the setting platform for a sustainable growth and creating opportunities for relevant partners to get involved with each individual business.
Business Controller Commodities Profile
To facilitate the strategic growth of the company we are looking for an ambitious Business Controller Commodities. In this role you will report directly to the head of Business Control with a dotted line to the CFO. You will work very close with the Product Line Managers and traders within the different Commodity Desks. You will be their business partner in translating numbers, presenting figures, reports and support them in making business decisions.
What do you do as a Business Controller Commodities?
- Managing daily P&L reconciliation and reporting for the various Commodity Desks;
- Co- responsible for periodic closing and reporting, including analysis of performance and variances;
- Support key Business Stakeholders including the Trade Managers of the various commodities desks;
- Improving projects, improving daily P&L position and reporting process.
Because of the transitional phase there is a lot of room for process improvement. The organization expects that the Business Controller Commodities will be actively contribute to the improvement of the daily P&L and reporting process, by looking at the possibilities to automize processes in Navision. Besides that you will be involved in several other projects. You will take ownership were you have responsibility for the integrity and timelines of the reporting. You will analyze and investigate with colleagues and traders on complex fluctuations in their positions.
Ideal Business Controller Commodities candidate
The Business Controller Commodities has the insight and eagerness to grasp the complexity of the commodity business. You bring a lot of energy, take initiative and have the drive to actively contribute to the performance, structures and processes. You need to be a motivated professional with very good analytical skills and a high stress tolerance. Furthermore, the ideal candidate has strong communication skills, is disciplined and is a real team player. The Business Controller Commodities is delivering value at all times both to internal as external stakeholders.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Finance or Economics;
- 6-8 years’ experience in Finance, of which at least 2 years in a similar trade accounting/business controlling position;
- Previous commodity/derivate background;
- High proficiency in Financial/ERP systems as MS Dynamics.
Skills and competencies:
- Knowledge of the Agri industry;
- Knowledge of general accounting practices;
- Excellent communication skills in English, highly matured to engage with senior management, incl. CEO, CFO, Head of Trade and Senior Product Line Managers;
- Ability to thrive in a highly entrepreneurial environment with lesser corporate structure;
- Stress tolerance;