Mitsui Rail Capital Europe (MRCE) has a fleet of more than 300 locomotives, Mitsui Rail Capital Europe is Europe’s market leader in full service locomotive leasing. The Company has two main offices: MRCE B.V. in Amsterdam (appr. 30FTE) responsible for leasing, sales, procurement, financing and MRCE GmbH in Munich (appr. 85FTE) responsible for maintenance, technical service, logistics (including ECM and Railway Authority Certification). MRCE has an asset portfolio of around €1B, and an ambitious growth strategy, focussing on new markets and vertical integration (acquisitions).
Senior Business Controller position
To play a crucial role in the growth strategy of MRCE and the professionalization of the (business) finance function MRCE created a new role as Senior Business Controller.
The Senior Business Controller reports directly to the CFO and is part of the Finance MT. You are leading the FP&A cycle for the group (leasing activities in Amsterdam and service activities in Munich, in cooperation with the business cost controller in Munich); analyzing the performance, responsible for the storyline and overall management reporting towards management and the board. Besides that you are focusing on the business controlling activities of the locomotive leasing portfolio, actively guiding and supporting the leasing, sales, procurement & financing departments located in Amsterdam. Also you are responsible for coordinating the internal control/audit activities for the group and will be directly managing the senior auditor performing those activities.
This role involves extensive daily interaction with senior management, functional teams and international finance colleagues. It is essential that you have strong stakeholder and communication skills, in combination with a strong eagerness to develop best practices and optimize the (business) financial function. The ideal candidate is someone with strong finance and commercial acumen, is able to see the big picture and work at a strategic level, yet knows the details and is hands-on to get the job done.
Due to the continuous growth and transition of the organization, the tasks and duties of this role may evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they occur.
Key activities & Responsibilities
Business Controlling (90%)
- Responsible for the the budget cycle and budget updates (reviews) for MRCE group, in collaboration with the business controller of the Munich organization
- Responsible for setting up and managing the forecast cycle for MRCE group
- Responsible for periodic analysis and management reporting towards management and the board
- Responsible for (adhoc) cost price calculations and setting up a (risk based) profitability analysis for the group
- Maintaining and reviewing the lease application (pricing) tool
- Taking the financial lead for business cases (e.g. Portfolio decisions, new business development)
- Advising on regular sales proposals and participate in complex sales contracts
- Generating and monitoring revenue enhancement and cost savings projects
- Making yearly audit plan
- Improving the internal control framework for lease activities (Amsterdam) and implementing internal control framework for service activities (Munich).
- Preparing and supporting external audits
- Performing internal audits
- Performing yearly JSOX controls and audits.
Ideal candidate profile for senior business controller
- Academic degree in business economics, preferably supplemented with post master RC/CMA qualification;
- >8 years of progressive experience in Business/Commercial Finance position preferably within an international Leasing and Maintance / Asset-driven business;
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written and excellent command English, knowledge of Dutch and German is an advantage;
- A business professional, comfortable in dealing with and influencing senior decision makers;
- The ability to become a trusted advisor to senior management on financial issues and also in related commercial, strategic and organizational matters;
- Ability to identify and address process gaps and proven ability to initiate, drive and execute change projects across several levels;
- A ‘hands on’ work style, comfortable with the detail, and able to move seamlessly between tactical and strategic issues as required;
- Ability to operate at senior level (internal and external) and build sustainable relations and network;
- Strong ambition to grow and learn personally and professionally;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Confident, enthusiastic and a team player;
- Accurate, “always check, never assume”, ensures sanity checks;
- An energetic, “can do” approach;
- Highly self-motivated and enthusiastic;
- Change driven, entrepreneurial spirit;
- High degree of integrity and honesty;
- A collaborative approach to building relationships, making decisions etc.;
- A flexible attitude to work.